Monday, July 09, 2007

First Day at THQ

I am back from my first day at THQ for my marketing internship; Two weeks late, but ready to go. The THQ HQ is a huge, sprawling 2 level complex that is very easy to get lost in. You can tell that they have being growing very quickly as you find patches of one department mixed with patches of other departments in the pockets of cubicles found throughout the building. The good news is that the office is only 5 mins from my subleted apartment and I do not have to go near the highway.

The first day was more about meeting the team and the other marketing interns. The team is very nice. Most of the people are very new to THQ (the longest being not even 1 yr). The great thing is that they all have very diverse backgrounds. The other Kidz marketing intern is from Ohio University in Ohio. It is an incredible distance to travel to do an internship, but he is really passionate about video games. It is funny to hear his new perspective of California as if I am a wily veteran of this land.

I have been given two warm up projects: 1) to research the market potential of a couple of new licensing opportunities; and 2) start playing some of the upcoming video games from THQ Kidz (Yes, you read correctly - I am being paid to play video games). I get the impression that after the first week, the pace will increase. I made it very clear that I want a massive and diverse workload. I'm here for only 11 weeks, away from my wife, so I want to make them count.

No comments: