Friday, February 24, 2006

Thursday Departure - Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, and South Dakota

Lindsey and I left London for Seattle at 6 pm on Thursday, February 23rd. We recruited my dad, Steve, to help out with the driving. Unfortunately, it appears his age means that we stopping every 2 1/2 hours for a pee break, but his seniors discount more than makes up for this fact.

We departed London just as a storm was coming in (see the picture of what we left). Thankfully as we moved west, the weather was perfect (see Sarnia sunset).


We have decided to drive over 24 hours straight for our first leg. There is something about being the sole automobile in a sea of transport trucks driving through Iowa at 3 in the morning listening to Christian Country Rock radio stations that makes me question the sanity of this decision. Furthermore, the only driver of us three who can sleep with any success in a vehicle is Lindsey (and she is always sleeping). Well we are giving it a try.

First observations is that aside from the badlands at the far west of the state, South Dakota is very boring. We did a diversion throug the badland park. The badland are an area of rock heavily eroded by glaciers. The results can be quite amazing.

Unfortunately, I got a reminder that outsiders are treated with suspicion by the fine members of the South Dakota State Police. For some strange reason when two cars pass me like I was standing still, then break when they see a speed trap (althought the cop was facing the opposite traffic direction) the cop decides he wants to pull me over for tailgaiting (Even though the cars in front of me were breaking). I got to sit in the police car and I got the distinct feeling he did not know exactly where Ontario is (he also did not know what an MBA was?). The cop gave me a lecture about why tailgaiting is inappropriate, then asked if Ontario cops enforced this rule. To which I replied that while it was a rule, they had more important things to enforce. Mercifully, he gave me me a warning and I high-tailed it out of South Dakota. As the Colbert Report says, "South Dakota, you're dead to me!" Where is the picture you ask. Well it appears my wife and father where so concerned about my well-being that they forgot to record the moment. You can see me below showing off my official warning.

No comments: