Saturday, September 30, 2006

Time to Catch Up

So we're live after missing about a month. I am going to try to start from the beginning and talk about the events of the days that have since passed.

First, I will give a brief update. We are all settled and I have just finish my business school orientation and first week of classes. I was moving at a rapid pace trying to keep up with business school and home set-up activities when I first arrived. Things are much calmer, but I am finding it difficult to keep up with this blog. I am hoping I will get into a grove as things settle.

I am enjoying business school. The first semester is not terribly exciting, but very important. I have courses in Accounting and Statistics that are giving me a solid foundation. I am excited to learn more about the financial statements that I have looked at in my work, but never fully understood. I have dropped a course in Microeconomics (as I have my degree in Economics) and taken Project Management in its place. I recently was self-teaching myself project management processes to encourage my last company to pursue a more comprehensive software development process. With this course I hope to pick up even more knowledge. My last course is IT Management. It is an introduction to how IT impacts a business. There is a lot of strategy (which I love) and the class is taught primarily in case study method (again which I love).
California has a three quarter program which takes me some time adjusting. Therefore, courses will go by very quickly. You will not get the same depth as a two semester course, but you will get exposed to a variety of topics.
Overall, I am impressed with the quality of my classmates. They are all very unique and interesting. I have found the international students very fascinating. This is not to say the American students are not, but if you consider that to be accepted as an international student you must have an exceptional background for you to be (i) accepted and (ii) decide to make that type of monetary and family investment, one can understand why they are very interesting.
Before I get any further, I am going to stop and try to catch you up on this journey (I hate this overused word, but it is very appropriate).

No comments: