Friday, September 01, 2006

All Our Bags are Packed...but we are not leaving on a jet plane

The movers arrived at 8:30am and they packed up our condo by 12:15pm. We are going out for a nice bite to eat with family tonight and then we are departing tomorrow morning at 6am. We got our border paperwork out of the way this past Tuesday after a four and a half hour ordeal.

The U.S. border is 45 minutes away from my home. There travel time there and back is 1.5 hours; you can do the math. Americans will be happy to know that your Customs Agents are diligently reviewing every vehicle crossing the border to the point of creating a massive line. Of the 3 hours of non-travel time it is safe to say that over an hour was spent in line.

It is almost comical to see the difference in how Canadian and U.S. Border Guards handle visitors. The immigration booths for Canada are like a revolving door. "Hello, do you want to hurt us? No. Come on it!" While the U.S. is "what is your name? What is your passengers name? How do you know her? Why are you coming here? Where will you be staying? Do you have evidence of a reservation?"

Now, the U.S. diligence is fine to a point of reason. While white with no criminal record, being a young whipper-snapper I can still accept a few extra questions for myself. But why grill the old people driving the card-carry AARP vehicle of choice, the Cadillac. My god, they are lucky to remember their name. While I am not an American, but I am sure they would be willing to accept the security risk of just waving them through.

Bitch, bitch, bitch Trevor. Don't you have anything positive to say? Sure, I am looking forward to another roadtrip across a magnificent country. The proliferation of air travel has made us cringe at the thought of a 8-12 hour drive. Sure the drive is long, but the things you will see. America is an amazing land with so many distinct cultures, scenery, and people. I feel it is a shame for an American to die without experiencing at least a quarter of it.

Anyways, as I noted earlier, my lap top is sold (I hope you like it Susan) and I am officially off the grid. Internet withdrawal is hard. I hope to take advantage of a couple of hotel business centers to keep you up to date. Our furniture will be delivered around the Tuesday after we arrive. So it is only 5 days in Irvine without it and my computer. I think I will survive.

California here we come...

2 comments:

Jamie A. Grant said...

Heh. That's the part that I hate most about long trips. How can I function properly without constant access to my e-mail?

So long Trevor, and thanks for all the fish.

http://jagrant.blogspot.com/2006/09/were-not-co-workers-were-co-people.html

Anonymous said...

You could save yourself a lot of time and money. check this out

http://www.amazon.com/Ten-Day-MBA-Mastering-Americas-Business/dp/0688137881/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt/104-5746521-4063958?ie=UTF8