Monday, March 12, 2007

Trying to Assimilate

Last week I took a major step at trying to assimilate to the Southern California lifestyle when I purchased my first pair of flip flops. Now, I am a sandal man. I like the extra straps that help keep the shoe on my foot. So, I knew that this move to a loose, unsecured flip flop was going to be a challenge.
Within 5 minutes of starting on my morning walk to class, I was in trouble. I think in my paranoia to keep the shoes on my feet, I must have adjusted my walking style to use a whole new muscle set in my legs. My outside calves were burning and I was walking like a bowlegged cowboy. I was very relieved to sit down and crushed when I realized I would have to walk back home (uphill). By the end of the day, the new leather of the flip flop had made a number of strategic scrapes on my feet. It was a rather painful and comedic trek home. Stupid Canadian.
For the rest of the week I am taking a break from the California assimilation in order to let my feet heal, but I will give it another go this week. Oh well, who said this California lifestyle would be easy.
P.S.: Today is 88 degrees F (upper 20s C).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should learn to walk around the house before you venture out into the wilds

InmateK8 said...

You can get this stuff that's like lip balm but for your feet at Walmart to help avoid blisters. I am in the military so I know a thing or two about a thing or two. Also, try bandaids in the spots where you are most likely to get hurt until you break in the new shoes. Don't give up!

Canada-US MBA said...

I want to thank everyone for their support during this "trying" time. Thanks to your support I will be braving the flip flops again today. No one said being Californian was easy.

As for the band aid suggestion: I think the sight of having band aids all over the tops of my feet would diminish the Southern California "Cool" look of the flip flops. Those band aids will immediately identify me as an outsider.