Saturday, August 04, 2007

THQ Bourne Ultimatum Perk

This past Friday, I took advantage of a THQ perk where we were offered free tickets to a showing of the Bourne Ultimatum on the "release day". I believe the tickets were offered as part of THQ advertising the new "Stuntman" video game releasing this fall (It actually looks pretty cool and heads and shoulders above the first one).
I am a big "Bourne" fan. I love, and have DVDs of, the first two movies. I think they are some of the most intelligent and exciting action movies to be made in a long time. So when the opportunity to get free tickets arose, I jumped at the chance. The movie, like all previous movies, was excellent and action packed, but contrary to other reviews, I think is was the worst of the exceptional series. First, every Bourne movie has at least one amazing car chase seen. I think the car chase in Paris in the Bourne Identity was one of the best car chase scenes ever. Of course there are chase scenes in the Bourne Ultimatum, but they fall short of the scenes of the first two movies. Second, the director decided to heavily avoid using the steady cam for that "The Shield" in your face in the middle of the action feeling. I haven't decided if he either did not use it correctly (ie, made the shots "too" shaky") or if it was just an error to not use the steady cam. At times it felt as amateur as "The Blair Witch Project". From my limited understandign, the lack of steady cam is used to convey a sense of gritty, "on the streets" feel to the viewer. I've always felt Bourne should not convey this feeling. Bourne is not "on the streets". Bourne is ruthlessly in control - analyzing every minute detail of a situation. This controlled manner calls for a precisely controlled camera shot that was used in the first two movies.

Again, I acknowledge I am nit-picking. It was an action packed movie - probably the best action movie of the summer.

No comments: