Wednesday, September 19, 2007

End of the Internship

Things are winding down in my internship at THQ. The Kids group brought in a recent MBA graduate to take over the Ratatouille and Wall-E lines. I have been getting her up to speed and winding down all of my existing projects.
Overall, it was a positive experience. The people are wonderful and the job has more fun moments than pains. I definitely have a good feel for the industry and the issues it faces. Given the circumstances of an internship and THQ's modus operandi, I regret that I was not able to make a more substantial contribution to the organization. While I did keep the Ratatouille lines moving forward, opportunities were scarce to make an impact. I had to turn my research study into such an opportunity. I hope that its findings and methodology may prompt additional studies in the other video game groups.
But this feeling of a lack of opportunity extends beyond myself. When I walk around and I see the education levels and talent at this company, I feel the leadership could do more to empower its talented workers. It is definitely not an easy task for a company going through such growth and radical changes in the way it conducts business, but more can be done. Don't get me wrong. I really like the company. For this one criticism, I could list 10 good things about the company. My focus is always on how to improve. My suggestion is to find more ways to empower the workforce.
But thanks needs to sent out to THQ. They recruited me and welcomed me into the organization. Many people were most helpful in guiding me through the THQ maze. I just hope I returned all their faith and efforts in me.

No comments: