Sunday, November 05, 2006

Named to the Merage VCIC Team

Every year incoming business students faces a similar extra-curricular delemma. There are so many interesting extra-curricular activities to do, but to try to do even half of them threatens the student with being spread very thin. Even worse, as all students get more out of their activities if there are more participants, the student's new colleagues lobby him to participate in more activities. It creates a environment where it can be difficult to set limits and say no.

This week I learned that I was named to the E-C activity that I had identified as my first choice, the VCIC competition. The Venture Capital Investment Competition is where business schools send one team of students to compete against other business schools. In the competition the teams act as a venture capitalist, evaluate real entrepreneur's business plans, interview the entrepreneurs, and make recommendations to real venture capitalists. As UC Irvine is relatively new to the competition and doesn't quite have the brand power of a Stanford or Haas (yet), it has to compete in a wild card round where the winner will advance to the regional competition against the aforementioned schools.

Given my experiences on the side of the small, struggling entrepreneur, I am excited to learn more about the venture capitalist perspective. I am honored to be selected for the Merage team. The team consists of five students. The quality of team is impressive, so I am anxious to learn how we will stack up. As I mentioned this my first choice of E-C activities, so even if I don't do anything else this year, I will be happy.

No comments: