Sunday, December 03, 2006

First Quarter Evaluation

It is hard to believe we are at the end of the first quarter. I thought I would give my assessment about the quality of classes and student life here at Merage. I am doing this before finals, so that I am not influenced by my results.
Classes
I have been very impressed by the classes and by the professors. The professors enjoy sharing their topics with students and make great efforts to communicate their subjects in a simple manner. While all teachers have been very good, I want to highlight our accounting professor, Charles Shi. Professor Shi has done a phenomenal job communicating the sometimes tricky concepts of financial accounting in an easy-to-understand manner. In my opinion, it is even more impressive when you take into account that english is not his first language. While the communication is great, it is Professor Shi's dedication to refining his methods of explaining difficult concepts. While many teachers just show up and read from a text book (especially for first year classes), Professor Shi demonstrates a great desire to modify his teaching methods to best communicate his subject to his students. It is this effort for which I applaud him.
Student Social Life
Every Thursday there is a two hour social where the Student Association provides some free drinks and snacks. It is a great way to end a week of classes and hang out with your students. I think at each social I am able to connect with at least one student that I had not met before. Thursday night is always pub night; it is usually good for at least 20 students to show up and have a good time. Recently, one of our students has pushed for an additional Tuesday pub night that has mixed success depending on the students workload. The point is that there is always something to do. The drawback about the UCI area is that you must drive wherever you go (cab is only an option for the obnoxiously rich). But once you accept that you must drive, there are a number of fun bars to visit.
The people are great. I must state that if you are moving into the area, you must make assertive efforts to meet new people and continue to socialize with them. Otherwise, as many are from the L.A.-OC area, it can be difficult to break into their everyday lives. I have made a very conscious effort to socialize, such as the regular poker game, and it has paid off in spades. Lindsey and I are developing a wonderful group of friends.
Extra-Curricular Activities
If you find yourself with nothing to do at business school, you need to seriously evaluate yourself. Too many activities is the common theme of business school and time management will help reap the rewards. The activities are run by committed students, staff and faculty and an argument can be made that each would enrich the traditional MBA student. Merage is similar to most schools with its wealth of E-C options.
Orange County
Three words from a transplanted Canadian: "Paridise on Earth". The scenery and weather of Orange County is wonderful. It is December and I am still wearing a light shirt and sandals. The waterfront areas are scenic and beautiful. The beaches are gorgeous. Sure as you move inland, Orange county gets very generic and "suburb-y", but who says you need to live there? I think if I am fortunate enough at the end of my program to have a number of job offers, the one that allows me a quick commute from a waterfront area would be received preferentially. [Quick Edit: Today is December 3rd and it is 83 F or 28 C - How are our Canadian Friends?]
Final Thoughts
So far Merage has exceeded my expectations. The area has provided an almost too comfortable lifestyle that makes you never want to leave. Finally, there are always something to do if you are willing to drive.

1 comment:

Jamie A. Grant said...

How 'bout that Canadian weather, eh?

On November 30th, it was still +10 celcius. Over the past weekend, it dropped to -5 and we had our first real snowfall on December 3rd.

Snowboard season is coming!