Friday, February 08, 2008

Pretty Darn Busy

Combining a full course load, with a TA position and a 20 hour internship is not the wisest of ideas. I have finally received approval from the International Center to take a paid internship this quarter, so between the TA salary and my internship wage I will be making a decent income for the remainder of the quarter. Unfortunately, it leaves me with little time to do homework. It is especially difficult to coordinate my schedule for group work as I am booked most days.
After taking leadership positions in most of my groups last quarter (some not by choice), my strategy has been to more of a follower this quarter and accept whatever final grades that come (I usually take the lead to drive a higher quality product). It is funny, now that I am not concerned about leading my groups I actually have two groups where we have yet to meet in person to work on the projects! As a person who likes to do things well, it can make me uneasy at times, but I am finding a drop in my stress levels knowing I am not leading the project. I rarely lose any sleep thinking about it (quite contrary to my experience last quarter).
It is the leadership positions that keep me awake. While I know that it is a group project, I take the view that the project is a direct representation of me. Also, I feel obligated to the group that I deliver the best possible project. For highly challenging projects, this can be tough. Those who know me, know that I can be quite the glutton for punishment when it comes to taking on challenging projects. As much as I say it creates stress, the alternative of not leading groups tackling challenging projects would be incredibly unsatisfying.
Still taking a 3 month break from these situations while learning about Private Equity in my internship is a nice break (although a busy one).

No comments: