Friday, February 29, 2008

Innovation and Presentation

I want to post this speech on creativity by Sir Ken Robinson. It is a great commentary on how the educational system is killing creativity. I am proud to say The Merage School is taking steps to change this by focusing their curriculum around innovation; teaching us that failure is perfectly O.K.; and how we can bring innovation to our employers.
Currently, I am taking a course on strategic innovation where sometimes we are asked to do things in an "un-MBA" manner for the sake of creativity. I am sure I am guilty for being one of the first people to roll their eyes whenever we head in this direction. Nonetheless, I must still acknowledge its importance and commend The Merage School for exposing students to it.
As the rest of the world catches up to us, it will not be enough for employees and companies to be efficient. They will need to innovate. They will need to create leaps of new value for consumers, employees, and employers. This will come from creativity, embracing failure, and a slight shedding of some of our educational teachings.
Enjoy the speech. As a side note it is a brilliant example of the storytelling style of presentations. I am also proud to say The Merage School is trying to expose its students to this method of presentation (in addition to other methods that I posted about previously).

No comments: