Sunday, June 08, 2008

Look Ma, All These Colorful Ropes!

We had our graduation banquet where we handed out the program academic awards. I earned the designations as a member of Beta Gamma Sigma (top 20% of business majors) and Dean's Scholar (top 12% of class). As part of the awards I got some colorful ropes to wear with my grad robes for graduation next Sunday. I don't remember us in Canada using fraternity names and colorful ropes to signify academic achievement, so I think it a U.S. thing. I still have no idea how to wear these ropes.
I'm not big for these kinds of achievements, but I am glad I sort of justified the school's fellowship they granted to me by meeting their academic expectations. If there is one thing I was proud of, it was that I accomplished it without specializing in one area. My electives were widely spread out among Marketing, Finance, Strategy, and OB.
Last thing to note is that the Merage women dominated the academic awards despite being a relatively smaller proportion of the class. This did not surprise me because from my experiences the women were generally more motivated and driven than the men. They definitely earned their achievement and I hope the men took notice of what it takes to succeed in this world.

No comments: