Friday, April 14, 2006

The Also-Rans Strike Back

Well, it is time for me to eat humble pie. All this time when I was (gently) critiquing UW and UC Davis, they were able to have the last laugh by dinging me. You can all laugh now.

I am slightly confused by this result. When I look at my credentials (GMAT: 730, Tough Undergrad 3.3+ [with all maths 3.7+], completed law school, started own law practice that worked with tech companies, 5 years of work experience, particpated on board of directions for a non-profit) I fit well within their class profiles. The fact that my decision to pursue business school this year was a bit last minute likely had an effect on my reference letters, but I can't believe they were that bad. It likely came down to the interview.

That makes me even more confused when at UC Davis I asked my thermometer question, "What challenges do you foresee me having at UC Davis" (I use this to gauge the interviewers perception of my candidacy), the interviewer responded "Nothing, from what I can see you have everything to excel here!" (this is paraphrased from memory). When I hear that kind of response I am feeling good about where I stand. The UW interviewer responded that she felt the only challenge I may have is learning to work with a team given most of my experience as a lawyer is to take the lead in a problem.

So, I felt pretty good at the time. So, what happened? I am wondering if my early acceptance to UC Irvine and the accompanying scholarship offer made me, subconsciously, a bit presumptuous that I would be accepted at UC Davis and UW and this attitude came out in the interview. It wouldn't be the first time that my head has gotten a little to big for my britches.

Second, I believe I really messed up in asking about the possibility of early acceptance responses. The interviewers inevitably began digging into why and asked further questions to elicit the extent of my scholarship offer. One of my weaknesses is sometimes being too honest. Now, I wish I would have kept quiet about the scholarship at both interviews.

Oh well, live and learn. It is not a huge deal, because if you hadn't noticed I was already well on the path to choosing UCI. Nonetheless, I would have been nice to at least have the option of selection UW and living in Seattle.

The experience is done and I thought I would give some lessons that I learned during this process.

APPLICATION LESSONS:
1. Really evaluate why MBA is good for you right now. Decide what you want to get from an MBA and use that criteria to select schools where to apply.
2. Proof read your essays three times, then give them to at least to other people to proof read. It is amazing what errors you will miss.
3. If you can, ask the admissions department questions (by phone if possible). It will show interest and help build a relationship.
4. Give your references ample to time to craft a letter. Give them detailed examples of your experiences, have someone proof read the letters. I only gave my references about 1.5 months and this was not enough.
5. Try not to overanalyze! You will go insane.

1 comment:

Fritz Van de Kamp said...

I am very surprised that you didn't get into UW considering your experience and stats. You may be right that disclosing your scholarship may have hurt you. I can't think of any other reason. Someone with a huge scholaship to Irvine should get into UW no problem. Oh well. The Irvine program is on the rise, you will love the weather and location, and you won't have much debt when you graduate. congrats and good luck!