Monday, April 03, 2006

A Note About UC Davis

My recent posts have primarily discussed UC Irvine and UW (with a brief commentary on Stanford). ldalrymp commented that I may have overlooked UC Davis. I thought I may address Davis.

UC Davis is a program that is better than its reputation (which isn't bad). I think they just need to do a better PR job. They should really sell the assets of their school. There is a tonne of research coming out of this school, they do a good job integrating MBAs with other disciples, and they have a strong program in entrepreneurship and technology. Davis is a great community. If quiet, small university town life is what you crave, Davis has it.

While close to Silicon Valley, it feels a bit removed from the hustle and bustle. I understand that the Careers office does a great job linking to this community, but a student is more of an outsider trying to break in, as opposed to contributing member of a hot technology community. That is my drawback. I want to be located in the heart of an booming technology area.

That being said, Silicon Valley is expanding out towards Sacramento for many reasons. By the time of my graduation, it could be a booming tech area??? But, I am not sure.

Second point, is that it is about two hours from the ocean. Coming from a central province and being the sentimental guy I am, the ocean is a draw. Nonetheless, I could very easily go to UC Davis and be very happy.

Hope that was a good plug ldalrymp.

No comments: