Saturday, April 01, 2006

Backtrack: Why I Decided to Apply to MBA

Decision Day is nearing and Lindsey and I have been agonizing over where to spend the next two (and possibly the next five years of our life). I had hoped that after the trip a clear second candite would crystalize (Obviously, Stanford would be the first). Interestingly, before my trip University of Washington was the clear number 2 by a good margin, but my gradual investigation of UC Irvine has been surprising enough to create a two horse race (more on that below). First, I should give some background about myself and my decision to pursue my MBA.

My wife, Lindsey, and I live in London, Ontario, Canada. I have lived here since 1993 when I attended the University of Western Ontario to complete an Honors B.A. in Economics. I enjoyed school so much that I stayed to complete my law degree. It didn't take long for me to realize that I did not belong in law firm environment, so when I was called to the Bar I started my own practice.

My practice was focused in my area of passion: Technology. I offered my services as a part-time "in-house" counsel for new or young technology companies. When I first met technology entrepreneurs I knew I found a place where I belonged. For the next three years, I met and helped numerous entrepreneurs and learned about their technology. During this time I was able to dive into my clients businesses. Due to my interests and my clients needs, I quickly found myself providing services beyond the traditional lawyer. While I advised on the corporate structure, conducted negotiations, and drafted agreements, I also began to draft business plans, marketing plans and help in their business development.

Unfortunately, I did not foresee that by giving extensive amounts of service to a few clients created a potentially unstable revenue stream should one client suffer financial difficulties. To combat this I required an extensive client pool. That led to my next problem: The London technology community is young and relatively small. This forced me to rethink my strategy. I realized that I would have to relocate to an area with more opportunity if I wanted to progress in my career.

My career goal is to a lead young technology company to a eight figure revenue stream. I like the challenges a young company faces such as trying to gain acceptance of their product and then managing the growth. After three years of practicing law for young companies, I felt that I need more business experience before I would be ready to lead a company (I know some of you will say you just got to do it, but I like to be prepared). I rallied by offering my services to one or two larger companies at a time. They were more stable. Up to recently, I focused my search efforts to London, but felt the uneasy call that I would have to move to Toronto (Canada's center of the universe). Over the past year and a half I have been able to work with a couple of different, but sucessful, technology companies in the London area. Again, I still provide legal services, but now I contribute even more to the business side. All have been great learning experiences, but I still hear the call for more opportunity.

Traditionally, any young professional from London would leave and move to Toronto. My wife and I aren't the biggest fans of Toronto. It's a good city, but it is not for us. Additionally, I began to dream of being located in the heart of a massive technology area such as the west coast of the United States. I want to be in an environment where technology companies are found on every corner. Scores of programers and engineers spawning new ideas that need someone to help commercialize them. Therefore, in a moment of clarity, I thought why not establish yourself in one of these areas.

I always wanted to complete a MBA. It offered the opportunity to get the formal number training that I wished I had when helping my clients. Even better, by completing my MBA in an technology hub, I could establish myself in that community. I could work in the area for a few years, until the right opportunity came along. My mind starting running with the idea. This crazy plan could work!

"Wait!" you're screaming, "What about your poor wife?" Well, we are hitting the age where we see our friends less and less. We both recognize that at some point soon, we will have to move to an area that offers more opportunity. We are young and a move to the west coast offers an amazing adventure. If we don't like it, we can return home in two years. And the opportunity for improved, more temperate weather should not be discounted. So long story short, she's on board.

Immediately, I decided to sign up for a GMAT test the next week. I told myself, "If you don't do good on the GMAT, then you don't deserve to go to business school." So no, I do not subscribe to the uber-preparation GMAT school. The GMAT gods told me I was ready for business school with a 730 overall (If you think that was good, you should hear my 94th percentile on my LSAT while still drunk - another story - I am not bragging, it is actually a sad commentary on my life).

Now, on to the search. My big MBA school requirements were 1) the school is reputable (ie, generally top 50 rated); 2) the school has a technology and/or entrepreneurial focus; 3) it is a two year program (so that I can take advantage of intern opportunities); 4) it is located in or has solid ties to a technology hub 5) it is not in a massive metropolitan area like L.A. or New York (we aren't big city people); and 6) it is not in an area of high humidity or harsh winters (hey, if you're going to go all this way - why not go all the way?).

The big players that I initially identified were University of Washington, Stanford, University of Davis and UC Berkley (Haas). The fact that my MBA pursuit was a spur of the moment decision, Haas was immediately dropped from the list due to application dates for international students. An amazing entrepreneur who has started or worked with companies in California and Washington state mentioned that I should examine schools in southern California. I mentioned my dislike of large urban areas, but he assured me the Orange County area is spread out and full of technology companies. That lead me to UC Irvine.

That is a good background. The next post (probably later today) will address my decision predicaments.

No comments: